Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman

Britt-Marie Was Here
Fredrik Backman
5/5 stars

Britt-Marie leaves her cheating husband and takes her first job in decades, working as caretaker in a recreation center in Borg, a dying town.  OCD and socially awkward, she finds it hard to adapt at first.  Then, she unexpectedly finds herself coaching a children's soccer team--and just as unexpectedly, finds herself changing and growing.

This is a gem of a book.  I read it--all 324 pages of it--from beginning to end in one sitting.  While I was first just amused by Britt-Marie and her foibles, I quickly became attached to her and concerned for her future.  Backman made me care about Britt-Marie and the people of Borg.   It was well-written, with deep thoughts sprinkled throughout, and a story that was sweet, sad and believable.  I was uncertain until the very end as to how it would end, and one can rarely say that about a contemporary "feel-good" novel.

Obviously, I highly recommend Britt-Marie Was Here. It's quick and pleasurable, and leaves the reader feeling both hopeful and satisfied.

On a personal note: Yes, I read this entire book, cover to cover, without stopping!  It is the best I've read this year, just barely beating The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance of Atticus Craftsman.



No comments:

Post a Comment