Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Catching Up

I've finished six books so far this month, and only just posted my first review.  I don't want to start feeling under pressure to review, so I'm just going to sum up October to this point.

1. Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
I just posted the review for this ARC.  Excellent, haunting book.

2. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
This is a memoir written by a man with locked-in syndrome.  He dictated it, letter by letter, by blinking his one eye when his helper reached the correct letter.  This is just not a book that can be reviewed or rated.

3.  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. R. Rowling
Bryan and I are rereading the Harry Potter series by listening to the audio books.  It's Steven Fry's narration, and is excellent.  There is no need to be one of the million to review these novels.  Besides, the simple fact that we're rereading them is enough.

4. Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo
This is the sequel to Six of Crows (review) and oh my goodness was it great!  A 5 star adventure.  I loved it, and I might give it a real review later.

5. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Contemporary fiction/romance is not my usual genre, but Rowell added a phone that could dial the past, and I was hooked.  Her writing is excellent; her characters are so believable.  I decided to read this after reading Eleanor and Park (review), one of her YA books.

6. Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell
I have become a massive Thirkell fan this year.  Her books are gentle stories, with a bit of light romance, that are funny and thoroughly enjoyable.  This one had me laughing out loud several times.


No comments:

Post a Comment