Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Classics Club: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

(about the Classics Club)


Stevenson
Why I Chose This Classic:
It's one that I knew the synopsis of, but had never read.  Since I love sensational Victorian novels, I felt I needed to remedy that.

What It Made Me Think:
My whole thought process during the story was that I wished I did not know the secret, so that I could enjoy the drama and tension of the novel.  I liked it, but I would have loved it, had I been surprised by the tale.

The one thing that bothered me was this: Jekyll talked about how Hyde thought little of him (Jekyll) and truly enjoyed being Hyde. Why then, did Hyde agree to return to Jekyll?

Also, the "good versus evil" scenario that is often depicted when talking about a Jekyll and Hyde situation is not appropriate.  Jekyll was quick to acknowledge that he had many faults, and that Hyde simply amplified and enjoyed those faults.

No comments:

Post a Comment