Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Love Stories

Today's "Top Ten Tuesday" is favorite love stories, in honor of Valentine's Day. As many of you know, I'm not a romance reader, but that doesn't mean that I don't still have some favorites, mainly from the classics. These are pretty roughly in order, though a few might go up or down a notch depending on which I had read most recently.

1. Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen. Such a lovely story, so gentle and beautiful. I think this is her finest work, I truly do.

2. Maxim and the new Mrs. de Winter from Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Not only is this an amazing novel full of suspense, tension and secrets, it's a novel of true love that is willing to face all the odds. I truly respect the young, never named, new Mrs. de Winter.

3. Rassendyll and Princess Flavia in the Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope. Swashbuckling thrilling adventure and true love that sacrifices itself for the good of all. I LOVE this novel!

4. Charlotte Vale and Jerry Durrance from Now, Voyager by Olive Higgins Prouty. I have never been one to enjoy a romance involving an already married person, but this novel is very different and the self-sacrifice and the characterizations and just plain well-written-ness of it make it an exception.

5. Rae and Constantine from Robin McKinley's Sunshine. Another stunning and well written novel whose romance element is without the fairy tale ending--plus it's about vampires!

6. Judy and Jervis in Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster. It's a lovely surprise for the first time reading and afterward and enjoyable read even knowing the surprise.

7. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. It's fun to see them grow up and change and fall in love.

8. From the LOTR mythology: Aragorn and Arwen, who waited all that time for him. While Tolkien is not known for romance, it's still a lovely story.

9. I hate to come back to Austen, but. . . Emma and Knightly from Austen's Emma is another couple that I love. Knightly is so well able to both enjoy and overlook her bad points and help her see them when they become hurtful to others. She's an appealingly flawed character and it's hard not to love her despite her selfishness. I enjoy them immensely.

10. To finish my list, I have to confess to yet another Austen couple. Yes, Elizabeth and Darcy from Pride and Prejudice. While I don't love them as much as the two other Austen couples mentioned, they are still a top ten favorite love story.

10 comments:

  1. I just read and commented on your other blog
    and found this one
    I love the Austen romances too
    I would love them more if they were not all teetering on the brink of matrimony LOL
    What do you think about Heathcliff and catherine
    There is part of me that loves unrequited love ( even though I am so grateful that my own love was well-requited )

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what do you think about Bridget Jones and her man
    Ooooh by the way I am loving this blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks lady! I'm glad you came over. (And now I've found YOUR blog!) I loved Wuthering Heights when I was younger but now, I can't find Heathcliff as romantic as I did; he's just too cruel! But, that reminds me that I left out Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester! That's a romance I DO love!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying reading this blog

    So Jeeves in your current post is not the valet of Bertram Wooster( love that PG wodehouse series)

    And I think that is my fave was Mr Rochester too

    Oh and thank you for the lovely comment on my Hopeful Parents post

    ReplyDelete
  5. My treatment of that book was slightly tongue-in-cheek. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We LOVE Wodehouse too! Yes, Bryan was being a bit silly about the Jeeves biography. He said it was written a lot like a Wodehouse novel. He got it from the library; I plan to read it at some point too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't actually read anything on your life, but I love the P&P movies, and Lizzie and Darcy are just so great, really :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really should try reading Austen, Sarah, I think you'd be surprised at how readable she is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. +JMJ+

    I'm so glad to see Persuasion as the first novel on your list! I've loved this book since I read it and believe that Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth are simply superior to Lizzy and Darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that someone else loves Anne and Wentworth as much as I do! :D I even once named a much beloved pet "Captain Wentworth", so enamored of this book am I!

    ReplyDelete