Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Two More "Did Not Finish" Books

Wow!  This February has not been the most profitable reading month for me.  Here are two more that I tried to read but didn't complete.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 21. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol 2 by Alan Moore (author) and Kevin O'Neill (illustrator).
Despite not being thrilled by the plot execution and the artwork of the first volume, I decided to go ahead and give this one a try. Half of the first issue contains conversation only in Arabic (TEN PAGES!) which necessitated searching for an annotation site from the beginning. This entire first issue shows the League for two pages, after setting up a particularly ridiculous desert battle against "Sorns" and mollusks and cannons and "tripods". . . I didn't continue to the second issue in this volume. This time I have given up the series for good.

2.Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A NovelSnow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.
I was, and still am, quite interested in the history being shared by this novel. It prompted me to do my own research on foot binding and the "secret language" of nu shu. I really wanted to like this, and expected I would, but the voice of Lily just wasn't convincing, was too lacking in personality, too stiff, too cardboard. Also, the reader knows from the beginning that the friendship is going to end unhappily and I didn't want to read that, for some reason. It could just be this season of my life, and I may give it another try sometime later. For now, though, despite reading 37% of it (according to my Kindle), I just can't go any further.

I hope my February readings are more successful, or at least that the March book choices will be!

7 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how Snow Flower is. Maybe I'll just wait on that one!
    Jaimie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read several good reviews, Jaimie, but it just wasn't for me. If it's something you can get from the library, you might still try it, but I wouldn't buy it, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how interesting !'Gypsi would love your take on "look me in the eye "

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't finish it, either, K. I tried it and it was just too painful, personal, raw. I made it about two chapters and gave up. I think that he is giving a good picture of AS, at least as far as I was concerned, but it was too close to home (so to speak) for this Aspie for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting - you dont seem like him at all
    I think your EI ( Emotional Intelligence) is much higher
    But I felt the Same ( feeling too close home ) -
    I kept thinking of all the potenital for misunderstandings in R's life
    its stil in my audio books - and i do read this blog ( same name as book )
    I think the stories of their violent alcoholic father is more disturbing
    My favorite Spectrum person ( apart from you and R of course ) is Rachel ( her blog is Journeys with Autism )

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry about all the typos in the last comment !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The family violence was another turn off, I had forgotten about that. Any family argument makes me very anxious in real life and I have a hard time reading a book for pleasure that involves domestic difficulties of that sort.

    It was all the misunderstandings and knowing that they would come and knowing how other people would react to them (now, with adult eyes) that made me squirm with unease and anxiety while trying to read his book. So, I just couldn't finish it! R has the advantage, though, of having a family that knows why he doesn't always respond appropriately. Though my parents were great, they had no clue and their reactions to my social errors were not that of gentle understanding (as they would do had they known, and do now when I have my "Asperger moments"). That makes a huge difference, and looking back at my life I know it would have been a lot different if I had had a diagnosis (such an ugly word) then. So, I think R's difficulties in that particular area will be less in a way, because the important people will know and understand.

    I'll have to look up Rachel's blog!

    ReplyDelete