Pages

Friday, July 15, 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen
Victoria Aveyard
4/5 stars

Red Queen is the first in a projected four part series.  To give a synopsis of this novel is difficult.  It is a dystopia where the world is divided into two types of people: the Silvers (silver-blooded with magical powers) who keep the Reds (red-blooded, with no power) under oppressive rule.  Mare, after discovering that she is unique from the other Reds, helps to start a revolution against the Silvers.  (I realize this doesn't sound particularly exciting, but that's due to my poor explanatory skills.)

At first, I was skeptical.  Seventeen-year-old Mare--with suddenly found magical powers and just as unexpectedly engaged to a prince--seemed to me to be a Mary Sue*.  Despite my reservations, I was soon drawn into the story and invested in the characters, and the improbability drifted away as unimportant.
*from Wikipedia: Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities

Aveyard builds her world well and makes it believable. The characters were equally real, with actions, and the reasons behind those actions, being convincing.  The plot was exciting, and even though I anticipated the plot twist, it was still thrilling.

Red Queen is a fun and fast read that should appeal to those who enjoy a credible dystopia, a little romance, and a good deal of action.  I certainly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment