Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: International Books



Top Ten Tuesday is a meme by The Broke and the Bookish.

The topic for this week is actually "top ten books set outside the US", because the meme creators stated that they mostly read books taking place inside the US.  Because I mostly read books taking place in the UK, I decided that I couldn't include any of these books as well, and have made the topic "non-US/UK books", or "international books" for a smoother topic.

These are not necessarily my TOP ten, but rather ten that I have given a 5 star review.


1. Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin (my review here)
This book was a joy and delight to read.  It takes place in Kigali, Rwanda and is serious and funny all at the same time.  I highly recommend it.



(my review here)
This beautiful book is Di Robilant's memoir of his search for a nearly extinct rose.  The story takes him through several countries, as well as into the history of roses.  It's an excellent read.




(my review here)
I just recently read and reviewed this book about the lives of five ladies in Madrid, and the boss's son who comes to fire them.  It was thoroughly enjoyable.



4. Britt-Marie Was Here by Frederik Backman  (my review here)
This is another recent read, taking place in Sweden.  It's a feel good novel that kept me guessing till the end.




5. Geisha: a Life by Mineko Iwasaki (my review here)
This is the autobiography of the most successful geiko of her time.  I found it fascinating, and felt it was like talking to a good friend.




6.Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (my review here)
A truly passionate book about books.  All bibliophiles should read it.




7.  In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson (my review here)
This is a nonfiction book about the US Ambassador to Hitler's Germany.  Larson is a stellar writer and this reads like a novel.





8.  King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (my review here)
This is my favorite adventure story.  It takes place in Africa, real and imagined.  While it is dated, it is still a great yarn.




9. Sky Burial by Xinran (my review here)
There has been some discussion over the years as to whether this is really based on a true story.  That doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned--it is a gorgeous story that made me long to visit Tibet.






10. The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy (my review here)
This is a hilarious story of an American in Paris.  It had me laughing out loud often.




No comments:

Post a Comment